`Militaria dealers U.S.A.

`Militaria dealers U.S.A.

Our Telephone Number
0044 (0) 7860-747027

VAT Registration Number
723556787

Email: davidmatteybuyer@gmail.com

 

Museum Buyers  .

.German Dagger Dealers,com is part of the buying strategy of

“The Arundel militaria collection”.

Our collection is on open display in Museum cabinets on the first floor of the Arundel Antiques Market .

The collection is free of charge and viewed by thousands of Arundel’s Visitors each year .

We do not sell on line all profits come from the sale of exhibits off line.

Arundel Antiques Market Ltd
The Passageway
18 High Street
Arundel
BN18 9AB

Telephone
0044 (0) 1903-884602

Mobile
0044 (0) 7860-747027

VAT Registration Number
723556787

Email: davidmatteybuyer@gmail.com

German Air Protection Federation [Reichsluftschutzbund (RLB)]

In 1923 The Reichs Air Ministry the RLB evolved from the existing Deutches Luftschutzverband German Air Protection League.  Hermann Goring declared that the RLB was to be the official air raid protection service of the Reich.

The role of the RLB was to protect the cities and population from hostile attacks.

This section  trained the civilian population in civil defense matters and air raid precautions. With the exception of a small cadre of career officers, the remainder of the force was composed of volunteers similar to the Civil Defense Corps.

The RLB was subdivided into two formations:

1)… the Luftschutz (Air Raid Protection)

2)… the Warndienst (Air Raid Warning Service). After 1943, the Warndiest became a part of the German Order Police although it still functioned as the Air Raid Warning Service of the Reich.

By 1939 over 15 million men had joined the RLB as volunteers. Volunteers had to purchase their own steel helmets and had no uniform. These volunteers mainly managed the air raid shelters on a street by street basis. The small cadre of career officers carried out training and management of the volunteer force.

As the war progressed the role of the RLB was expanded to include search and rescue, fire fighting, decontamination, damaged building demolition etc.

The institution of a RLB Dagger

This knife was authorised during 1936 for dress wear by selected permanent NCO’s and subordinate personnel between the ranks of Obertruppmeister and Truppman. The daggers were made by Paul Weyersburg.Ernst Eric Witter and W.K.C.

The blade was plain and 22 cm long.

The grip was made with a black wooden handle with the 1st pattern Luftshutz insignia, an 8 pointed “star burst” with the initials “RLB” at its centre.

The cross guard was in the form of a stylised eagle with short open wings, its feet holding a plain circular wreath with a swastika at its centre.

The pommel was dome shaped, and same as the cross guard, nickel plated.

The scabbard was black stove enamelled and only had a single fitting at the chape which was nickel-plated. On the top of the scabbard was an unusual black painted triangular suspension fitting onto which the small leather hanger was fixed.

No Portapee was worn with the RLB knife. It was only awarded to worthy recipients, those who had long or meritorious service records. It could not be purchased privately

Dagger Information –

1938 RLB Enlisted Mans Dagger

In 1938 the sunburst insignia on the RLB knife grip was replaced. The RLB initials at the centre of the sunburst gave way to a large black enamel swastika.In all other regards the 1938 knife was identical to the 1936 version.

  

 

  The Institution of a Government Official dagger.

The Government Official dagger came into being in March 1939. The principle manufacturers being Carl Eickhorn and Alcosso.  It was carried by officer level civil servants who were attached to Ministries and ranking staff of the foreign office.

 The dagger is almost identical in appearance to the Diplomatic dagger with only one exception. The beak of the eagle faces to the viewers left, whilst on the Diplomatic daggers the eagle’s beak points to the right.

 The bold hanging straps are of grey – blue brocade having velvet backing aluminium facings and grey – blue edge strips. The buckles are rectangular having oak leaf decoration.

 Officially a small sized silver knot is hung tied from the feral  above the cross guard .Standard Army knots are however frequently encountered.

 By 1942 production had ended .

 Edited By David Mattey

   

                           

   

      



 



 
 

,

,       

  ff

Arundel Antiques Market Ltd
The Passageway
18 High Street
Arundel
BN18 9AB

Telephone
0044 (0) 1903-884602

Mobile
0044 (0) 7860-747027

VAT Registration Number
723556787

Email: davidmatteybuyer@gmail.com